Welcome to Rainbow Six Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

SoryuDragon

RSpear-UrbanOps install problem

17 posts in this topic

Ok, so I reinstalled the whole RS game plus add-ons. No MODs though. Just the basics.

Now when I go into Urban Ops and choose to active the "mods" (Covert Ops, and Black Thorn) I do not have the option to choose them, in fact I see the RS parent Directory (folder) instead. :nod:

Check it out...

UrbanOperations.jpg

Link here if you don't see it...

http://www3.telus.net/MavCanada/UrbanOperations.jpg

So from this screenshot you can see the basic files that are installed in the parent folder. The "mods" folder is even there to see, but not what is inside the folder.

Now RS is installed on a WinXP system, so I figure this has something to do with this. SO I installed it on my old Win98SE Box just to be sure. And I see that the Win98SE install is perfect, just the way it should be. No problems there. :ph34r:

I compared the WinXP and WIn98SE Registry on RS and the only thing different is the WinXP has a string in there called "ModPath" and it shows "\mods" The Win98SE does not have this String.

My next conclusion would be to remove the Registry String. So I did, and it made no differance. I still have the same Problem. :wall:

In order to get my "Mods" (Add-on's) to work I had to copy, not move but copy the BT,and CO folder to the RS Parent Folder. now they show up in the Mods option and I can select them. Only then it'll work fine.

But it should not have to be this way.

BTW I have no other issues other than a litte bit of Video flickering as I change from game setup to game, but it's all find. :ph34r:

Can somebody help me out here, I really want this to work the way it should be setup.

Thnx in Advance,

Soryu...

Edited by SoryuDragon

If you run the game straight from black thorn do all the mods and games show up?

You may want to try and install RS/UO/COE/BT with the Win98 compatability mode.

If you can activate and deactivate mods/add-ons right now though, I wouldn't mess with it.

You also may want to enable vsynch under your video cards display properties to keep the flickering down.

Reply for firefly2442...

Yes I've ran only BT and the MOD selection part is not able to be clicked on.

And yes I tried this with my working setup on my Win98 Box. It's the same thing. As far as I remember, UO was the only add-on that allowed you to select different mods. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Reply to WhiteKnight77...

Yes I've installed everything with the Win98 Compatability Mode, and it makes no differance. As for activate and deactivate, I can not even do that. Again look at the image I posted at the beginning. As I do not have this option to even activate any mod.

I'm not really concerned with the flicker right now. as the Mod selection part is much more paramount in this problem.

Any other suggestions?

Open up the Rogue Spear directory and see if you see a folder called Mods. Check to see if there are any other folders that are named just like this:

URBAN OPERATIONS

CLASSIC MISSIONS

BLACK THORN

Covert Operations

If they exist just as they are and are not in the Mods folder, copy and past them into it (you can also drag and drop).

In the main directory, you should also see the .exes for all the games.

Let us know what happens.

Reply for WhiteKnight77...

Well the files and folders are where they should be.

So there is no need to paste them into a folder where they currently are located. So I did not have to move them into the Mods folder. If anything there is no change within the game I still see the same thing as you can see in the screen shot I posted in this post. :(

The following folders are within my mods folder...

URBAN OPERATIONS

CLASSIC MISSIONS

BLACK THORN

Covert Operations

I also have the .exe files in the main folder

As the picture I started this thread shows, the Available mods listed are that of the Rogue Spear directory (folder) and does not show what is inside the actual mods folder, as it should be showing. Now again I checked with my Win98 box and it's setup (file/folder wise) as the WinXP box. Nothing changed here.

BTW I've been playing these games since they came out, in fact I have the original boxes from when they did come out. All I wanted to do is play them on my WinXP box.

Any other idea that may work? :rolleyes:

It sure is frustrating. :P:tears::no:

It seems as if you have a messed up install. I know this is a pain in the ######, but uninstall and completely delete everything in your RSE folder. Check your registry for any remnants of any RSE entry and delete all of those too.

Reinstall everything again. When you install UO again, open up your directory to make sure that it is in the Mods folder before installing the other expansion packs.

Other than that, I am at a a loss as to why they don't show up in the mod list in game. There is a corrupt file somewhere and it not reading everything properly.

Reply to WhiteKnight77...

Ok did as you suggested. Still no diff. :rolleyes:

I even bought the TC's Counter Terrorism Classics box that comes with RSix, RSpear, SOAF. And I installed the RSpear from that CD thinking it may have something to do with that. Still no diff. :P

No here's something that is crazy. I continued to install all the fiels again like before. Still I had the same Problem. But this time I moved the Folders...

URBAN OPERATIONS

CLASSIC MISSIONS

BLACK THORN

Covert Operations

Into the Main RS folder. And nothing worked. Except for RS itself.

So I "Copied" the folders back, so now I have a town full copies for 1 MOD.

And low and behold I can see the MODs and they seems to work.

Th only problem now is if I look at the MOD selection part of the Options it will default to only one MOD at a time.

So I changed the MOD line up in the ModsSettings.txt file. So as long as I do not look in the options I can select any MOD as long as I alter the ModsSettings.txt file.

IMO I should have to make such changes. It should be just like my Win98SE Box. sigh :tears:

If you think of any other idea's let me know.

I even bought the TC's Counter Terrorism Classics box that comes with RSix, RSpear, SOAF. And I installed the RSpear from that CD thinking it may have something to do with that.

That pack (http://store.ubi.com/item.jsp?item=008888681564) is XP compatible, there should not be any issues running those games on XP. From the sounds of it you have RS installed from that pack, and the other games are not? If that is the case I would be tempted to uninstall everyting (again eeek), then install only from your CTC pack, and take it from there.

Ok let keep in mind here that the Game pack only comes with 3 games, nothing else. :no:

Plus RSpear (from that game pack) IS all by itself, with no add-ons. I used my existing UO, CO, BT when installing, this is true.

So it's not like I can only install all the add-on's from that game pack.

I take it you are not familiar with the game pack itself.?

As for XP compatable? I don't think it is. The one main reason I bought this set was they claimed (and I mean the ppl in the forums) it was fully XP Compatable. I guess they did not buy it and try it.

I've also unistalled and reinstalled again and again. :rolleyes::P:tears:

BTW Thnx for all your help so far. The more others talk about this one problem the better chance I can get it resolved. Just so you know I've installed it on my WinXP Home OS on my laptop as well and it's the exact same problem here too. So it's not like it's only my game system setup. with WinXP Pro.

Must remind ya, my Win98SE box runs very very well with this game, as it was meant to be. It's just not the fastest system to play on, and it is only a temp system, setup for troubleshooting things such as this.

Edited by SoryuDragon

As for XP compatable? I don't think it is. The one main reason I bought this set was they claimed (and I mean the ppl in the forums) it was fully XP Compatable.

It's not a claim by people in forums, that pack is reworked code that makes it XP compatible. That is how Ubi Soft market it, and that is what the dev team have told me. If you have installed that pack and are having difficulties with it on Win XP, I suggest you try Ubi Soft Support in the first instance, as it really should work.

Reply to Rocky...

Sima-down-na. Don't get excited. :P

My situation is not about the new released version of RSpear. It does have to do with the fact that I can not get my MODs to work the way they are meant to be.

So it did not matter what version I used I had the same results. Plain and Simple. I wasn't trashing which one is better than the other, just that I still have the same problem, that nobody seems to have an answer for.

And even if the Ubi Soft said that it's re-worked I still have the same problem from the get-go. :rolleyes:

I'm not getting excited, just trying to help. I get as frustrated with stuff like this too 'cause we've all been there, I know how annoying it is :rolleyes:

I had a look around.. Not too many people having this problem, apparently (though I recall it being relatively common back in the days - odd it isn't in the AGR-S FAQ as I seemed to remember), but one tip I found was to turn off the compatibility mode after installing.

I had the same problem initially. When you have it set to any compatibility mode, it won't run correctly. It'll think your RS directory is the mods folder. Turn off the compatibility modes to get rid of that problem. Now to get it to run right, go to the "Configure Urban Operations" proggy in your start menu. Now make sure that the "Hide Desktop during mode switch" is checked and you'll be good to go. That'll solve your sticky-keys problem as well just so long as you don't alt-tab after you start the game up.

Others have reported success when running in Windows 2000 compatibility mode.

Full forum thread here. As you will see, one guy also suggests that Black Thorn is somehow the reason (though I saw people with this problem long before BT was released).

If it still won't work, I'd suggest installing the game and mods from scratch using various compatibility modes. I always use Windows 95 mode and have never had any issues with any of the Rainbow Six titles. Try installing one mod at a time to see if the issue is there from the start or caused by, for example, Black Thorn.

Good luck :rolleyes:

Well I'll try what Daywanderer suggests. If that does not fix it, I'll try reinstalling my OS and start all the way from scratch. :thumbsup:

I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.