Welcome to Rainbow Six Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Pave Low

Pc Version Huge Crash File(s) Issue

7 posts in this topic

Apparently when the PC version crashes it creates a huge crash dump file

Typical size reported is 800 MB ! and some users report over a Gig in a single crash dump !!

and given the frequency of crashes this is resulting in numerous users having massive amounts of hard drive space being gobbled up (Eg one forum user just checked and found over 16 Gigs of space used up by this)

Ubi Reply #1

When most games crash, they dump the most recent memory into a temp file. The file size can vary from game to game but since they are only temp files (Usually for debug/error checking feedback), they can be deleted so they don't take up so much space.

Now that bigger Hard Disk Drives are available, I never seem to notice this problem until someone points it out. My WoW folder is bloating a bit too much at present. 16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

This is pretty much part of being a PC user and keeping up with regular PC maintenance. shady.gif

Raide : UK Forum Manager

:thumbsup: ahh so it's OUR fault then :wall:

Ubi Reply #2 (a better one this time)

Is there a way to turn off the MEMDUMP in the game, so it doesnt product these HUGE dump files ?
I'll try and find this out. Apologies for any frustration this approach to crash logging causes.

I'll make sure the developers are aware of everyone's reaction to it here and let you all know if I hear anything back about the matter.

Ubi.Vigil

Community Manager

Ubisoft UK

What a gaffe that first reply is. Back to customer care school for you Raide.

Yep, Should have taken a moment and thought before posting, then might have realised it's probably not something a bunch of already ###### off fans want to hear. Like pouring gas on a fire

Typical Ubi-ism

For those who went and bought this "game"

you should go to your "~ \ Rainbow Six Vegas 2 \ Binaries" folder

and delete the files starting "crash report" (& ending ".dmp" / ".txt" / ".log")

To claw back your hard-drive space

LOL

Just had a read on the UBI Forums, not pretty is it? Although there seems to be quiet a few peeps reporting no crashes at all. Guessing system specs is main issue? Definitely holding off for the the price drops.

:thumbsup:

Thanks for the heads up guys. And thanks for the safe heaven here Rocky. Trying to find good info on the ubi forums is like trying to find a needle in a ######stack.

Edited by JTF-2

WOW...Thx Pave Low and Rocky... found 15 crash logs for a total of 10.5 GB...

Be advised that if you bought it from STEAM, like I did, you'll need to look into your steamapps/account name/Vegas 2 folder... it's in there, in the Binaries as said above.

I had major crashes and bugs from the get go, but i did discover that most was my fault... I forced my graphic card to run MAXED on settings, "force applications"... and that was causing tears and crashes... Once I read, then put my graphic card setting into "let the application decide", not a crash since with everything maxed and 8xAA at 1600x1200x32 (with 75 fps)... just FYI, if still having crashes.

We need to do something to bring R6 back. While GB looks like an amazing project, it's still not R6 though.

Edited by KSK